A Maine man has been convicted of trying to burn down his ex-girlfriend’s house while she and her grandparents were asleep last December. A jury found 22-year-old Andrew Freeman guilty on Wednesday of two charges of aggravated attempted murder, arson and burglary, following over an hour of deliberation. Assistant District Attorney Joseph O’Connor told the Bangor Daily News, that Freeman is a “very dangerous individual,” with an extensive criminal record, including convictions of stalking and criminal trespass. He said five different young women had filed protective orders against Freeman at the time of the fire. Freeman is charged with setting the fire in the basement, which woke up the 17-year-old girl’s grandmother. The family managed to put the fire out.
A Houlton youth hockey coach has been charged with possessing Sexually Explicit Material of a minor under the age of 12.44 year old Peter Alden of Houlton was arrested Monday in SkowheganAccording to Houlton Police chief Butch Asselin, police discovered numerous sexually provocative images of girls under the age of 12 on Alden’s IPod.Police also seized Alden’s cell phone and laptop.The investigation began in July after the Veterans Hospital in Augusta indicated Alden may have had a sexual encounter with an underage female.Police are not disclosing the age of the victim or any details relating to the alleged sexual encounter.There’s no indication any of the images were of children from the youth hockey team.
The investigation into burglary, assault, and shooting at a woodland home continues.Early Saturday morning, a resident on New Sweden Road called 911. He reported his door was kicked in and a man had entered his home. The homeowner asked the suspect to leave but when he allegedly resisted, the resident shot him.Authorities with the Aroostook County Sheriff’s office report, they have not been able to speak to the suspect, who remains at a hospital in Bangor.
Gorham police have charged a Scarborough man with two counts of unlawful sexual contact stemming from an alleged incident with a child at a campground 10 years ago. Police say the charges against 45-year-old David C. Dougherty stem from an alleged incident in 2002 at Wassamski Springs Campground that police say involved a 12-year-old boy. Police say Dougherty was staying at a site at the campground and was acquainted with the boy, who also was staying there. The Portland Press Herald, reports that the alleged victim, now in his 20s, is the only victim police are aware of. The incident was reported to police in April and the arrest concludes a five-month investigation. Dougherty was released on $2,500 bail. He is scheduled for arraignment on Nov. 14.
A harness racer has been taken to the hospital after falling onto the track just before a race at the Cumberland Fairgrounds. Mike Timmons, President of the Cumberland County Fair, identified the driver as 65-year-old Leigh Fitch of Sebago. Timmons says Fitch appeared to have suffered some type of medical issue before falling out of his seat and onto the track just before 8 p.m. Monday. Fitch was taken to Maine Medical Center where he was listed in critical condition. Timmons described Fitch as a veteran driver.
The University of Maine System Board of Trustees approved a proposal today to continue to freeze in-state undergraduate tuitition for two additional years. Earlier this year, trustees voted to freeze tuition levels for the current academic year. In order for it to happen, the state would have to keep the system’s funding at its current level of 176 million dollars.
Independent Senate candidate Angus King’s campaign is threatening legal action if TV stations don’t stop airing a pair of ads accusing King of backroom deals. According to King’s campaign the Republican National Senatorial Committee’s ads aren’t true. The ads in question accuse King of backroom deals and profiteering on a wind project in Maine. The King campaign is airing an ad that aims to set the record straight.
There’s going to be a lot of commotion in Augusta Tuesday, but don’t worry, it’s just a test. VA Maine Healthcare System is holding a full-scale mass casualty exercise at the Togus VA Medical Center.The event is a joint effort between area hospitals, fire departments and the Maine National Guard.
Two juveniles are charged with arson following a fire in Springvale Sunday afternoon.Fire fighters were called to the Nasson Community Center building on Main Street for a fire in a locker room in the basement.Crews were able to control the flames with an extinguisher and there was minimal damage.Authorities say, two people in the building at the time of the fire gave good descriptions of the suspects, which led to the arrests.Investigators believe the suspects pulled the fire alarm as they left the building.
The Maine Marine Patrol says a 63-year-old Brunswick man was killed in a boat collision off Little John Island in Yarmouth around 5 p.m. Friday night.The Portland Press Herald reports that the victim was operating a small aluminum skiff when it collided with a 38-foot motor yacht.Sgt. Robert Beal identified the victim as Charles W. Whetham.The yacht was carrying several passengers.The victim was pulled from the water shortly after the collision by the crew of a U.S. Coast Guard auxiliary boat. He was unable to be revived.The crash is under investigation. No charges have been filed.
Maine’s Labor Department says the state’s unemployment rate was 7.6 percent in August, unchanged from July.It’s also not much different from a year ago when it was 7.5 percent.The figures reflect seasonal fluctuations in the labor market.The national unemployment rate in August was 8.1 percent.
An Eliot man accused of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s house, then assaulting and raping her was in court Friday.31 year-old Paul Olsen did not enter a plea.Police say he broke into the house Tuesday night and attacked the woman while her two young children were home, then didn’t leave until the next morning.He was arrested at his grandmother’s house in Warren.Bail was set at 100 thousand dollars.
An Eliot man is scheduled to make his initial court appearance on charges of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s house then assaulting and raping her. Paul Olsen is scheduled to appear Friday in Biddeford District Court on charges of attempted murder, kidnapping, burglary and rape. Police say the 31-year-old Olsen broke into the house at about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday and attacked her while two young children were at home. Police said it appears Olsen is the children’s father. The Portland Press Herald reports that Olsen allegedly choked the woman until she lost consciousness, hit her, and raped her. Chief Theodor Short says Olsen did not leave the house until 6 a.m. Wednesday. He was arrested at his grandmother’s house in Waldoboro. The woman was treated at a hospital.
City records show that nearly 80 percent of the restaurants that Portland inspected in the past year failed because of health code violations. Portland hired its first health inspector devoted to restaurants in August 2011. Since then, inspector Michele Sturgeon has inspected 49 restaurants and failed 39. Six failed initial follow-up inspections and three failed multiple follow-ups. The city has about 800 eating establishments. The Portland Press Herald, obtained copies of inspection reports through a Freedom of Access request filed in August, weeks before the city shut down three restaurants for violations that included a “rat infestation.” Sturgeon said she isn’t surprised by the failure rate because of a lack of understanding about state food codes. Common violations include lack of cleanliness, improper storage of utensils and moldy ice machines.
School officials in Gray are investigating after a 5-year-old kindergartner was left alone outside her empty house by a school bus driver. Katie Capponi says she followed procedure and wrote a letter to her daughter Abigail’s school telling them to drop her off at a day care center and not at home on Thursday. Capponi tells WMTW-TV, she even verbally informed the substitute bus driver on Thursday morning to take the girl to day care. Capponi says she got a call from the day care center telling her Abigail was never dropped off. Capponi’s husband raced home and found the girl crying on the porch. The family estimates she was alone for about 40 minutes. Superintendent Bruce Beasley says the school is investigating and reviewing procedures.
The U.S. Navy has awarded a contract modification to Bath Iron Works worth up to $38 million for work on a class of Navy destroyers. Republican U.S. Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine said Thursday that the award allows BIW to provide engineering services in detail design and construction for the DDG-1000 warships. The first DDG-1000, the USS Zumwalt, is under construction at BIW and is scheduled to be delivered to the Navy in 2013.
The Maine attorney general’s office is threatening to sue a North Carolina company that was supposed to preserve a national historic landmark in Augusta.The AG claims the company breached agreements to protect the Kennebec Arsenal and says the property has been damaged by vandalism, thefts and weather.The property is considered the best surviving example of a 19th century military complex of its kind.Its granite structures date back to 1828 and were supposed to be upgraded for residential and commercial use.
The bell in the city-owned clock in Bath’s First Baptist Church is ringing again after more than two years of silence. Although the 157-year-old clock has not chimed in some time, the city council approved funds for repairs just this summer. Balzer Family Clock Works of Freeport promptly took care of matters, repairing it in one month. The bell has been ringing again since Sept. 7. The Rev. Steve Rowe, pastor at the First Baptist Church, tells The Times Record of Brunswick the sound of bell across town is “kind of cool” and also serves as a call to God’s house.
Saco police are on the lookout for a woman who robbed a city Dunkin’ Donuts shop at gunpoint. Police say the woman entered the store on Portland Road just after 8 p.m. Wednesday, showed a black handgun, demanded cash and told employees that two men were waiting for her in a vehicle outside. Workers gave the woman an undisclosed amount of cash, and she left the store. Police unsuccessfully used dogs to track the woman. The suspect is described as about 5-feet, 2-inches tall with a thin build. She was wearing jeans and a gray pullover sweat shirt with red lettering on the front and black and white sneakers. She was also wearing latex gloves and carrying a green canvas bag.
A man from Eliot is charged with attempted murder and gross sexual assault after reportedly breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s home, raping her and trying to strangle her.Police arrested 31 year-old Paul Olsen Wednesday morning at his grandmother’s house in Warren.Police say Olsen raped his ex-girlfriend at her house in Eliot, held her against her will, and tried to strangle her to the point where she lost consciousness.The victim’s two young children were home at the time. She’s being treated at a hospital.Olsen is also charged with kidnapping and burglary.