Longtime teacher, state lawmaker and Maine baseball hall of famer Omar Paul Norton of Eastport died Monday of cancer.Besides many years teaching, Norton served as a guidance counselor and school superintendent through the years.He served in the Maine House of Representatives from 1986 to 1994.Visiting hours are Friday at the Mays Funeral Home in Eastport.His funeral is Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.
Thereâ€™s going to be a lot of commotion tomorrow at Mayo Regional Hospital in Dover-Foxcroft.The hospital will hold a major emergency preparedness drill between 4:00 and 6:00 Wednesday afternoon.It will involve first responders from throughout Piscataquis County.
The Thomaston Fire Chief says a fire that destroyed an apartment building and left at least a dozen people homeless was started by a carelessly disposed cigarette.The fire on Sunday started on the top floor of the building on Knox Street.Chief Mike Leo says a tenant tossed a cigarette in a plastic container, went to take a shower and when he came out, found one of his walls on fire.
The view from Bucksport is changing.”This is the first time that I’ve seen it in my 27 years.”At least from the perspective of Roger Raymond’s desk.”We have an actual machine that’s shutting down permanently,” said Raymond, the town manager.Since 1930, the town’s mill has produced nothing but paper and jobs, but now Verso Paper is cutting back.
A school district in Central Maine is the latest to begin moving away from oil as a source of heat for its schools.At a ceremony in Oakland, school officials were joined by state lawmakers to announce the beginning of construction on a new wood chip boiler that eliminates the need for roughly 60,000 gallons of heating oil annually.
A request to replace a former gazebo at paul bunyan park is up for discussion in Bangor.The city’s Parks and Recreation Department is trying to get the ok to begin fundraising efforts to build a new one in the park.Their request will go before the Government Operations Committee, Tuesday night.If approved, it will be passed on to the city council in two weeks.