The Florida man accused of causing an international flight to divert to Bangor last year was held in federal court, Tuesday.Twenty-seven year old Derek Stansberry of Florida was found not guilty by reason of insanity.The prosecution said that Stansberry told a federal marshall on board a Paris-to-Atlanta flight that he was wearing dynamite in his shoes, and carrying explosives in a laptop.They say he passed a note to a flight attendant that said his passport was fake.In court Tuesday morning, Stansberry waived his right to a trial by jury.A federal judge cited reports from medical professionals who all agreed that Stansberry had suffered a psychotic episode on the plane.He said the doctors believed dehydration, sleep deprivation and body building supplements that Stansberry had taken contributed to what happened.He said he didn’t believe Stansberry was a threat.The entire trial took less than an hour.Stansberry’s attorney, Walter McKee, says it was a unique situation where the defense and prosecution were actually on the same page.”I don’t think I’ll ever have a case like this, and I don’t think you’ll ever see one like this up here.
A man who was fleeing from authorities was killed yesterday, after crashing his SUV into another vehicle in Hampdent, then slamming into a tree.Police say 21-year old Matthew Cynewski of Belfast was pronounced dead at the hospital.About 3:30 yesterday afternoon, Bangor Police were following an SUV on Route 1A into Hampden.They had received reports of an erratic driver heading south on I95 out of Old Town.Witnesses say that Cynewski moved into the middle of the road between two passing cars.He reportedly sideswiped one of the vehicles, then ran off the road into the Riverview Cemetery.Police say they don’t know why Cynewski did not stop for police.No one else was injured in that crash.
A former Air Force intelligence specialist whose claim of possessing explosives forced a trans-Atlantic flight to land in Maine is due in federal court.Both the defense and prosecution agree that a break from reality led to Derek Stansberry’s ramblings aboard the Paris-to-Atlanta flight in April 2010.
The director of Maine’s Office of Program Evaluation and Government Accountability says there’s no evidence to suggest there was any improper political activity by the Maine Green Energy Alliance.Beth Ashcroft appeared before the Legislature’s Government Oversight Committee on Monday to brief lawmakers on findings that were released earlier this month.Ashcroft’s agency found inappropriate use of funds after examining how the alliance spent about $500,000 of a $1.1 million federal grant meant to expand home energy audits and weatherization.
The demolition of the old Webster Pulp and Paper Mill in Orono was a community event Monday evening.Dozens of residents turned out to see the old building come crashing down.The Webster Point Condominiums will take the mill’s place, but don’t think it’s out with the old and in with the new.The new condominiums will still incorporate a flare of the old mill.The Webster Point Project hopes to be ready for move in by November 2012.Webster Point Condominiums will have 24 units, 11 have already been reserved.If you’d like more information, you can log onto websterpointorono.com
The former president of the University of Maine has been chosen to lead Connecticut’s new higher education oversight board.A state official says Robert Kennedy will be named as president of the newly formed board of regents for higher education, which will eventually replace that state’s trustee boards that oversee the community colleges, the online charter Oak State College and the board governing eastern, western, central and southern Connecticut state universities.
A Dover-Foxcroft woman who pleaded guilty to health care fraud has been sentenced to three years in prison.38-year-old Dawn Zehrung, also known as Dawn Grover, was also ordered to repay more than $350,000.Court records say Zehrung, who was responsible for billing at Bangor Women’s Health Care, overbilled companies by more than $300,000, stole cash co-pays, and gave herself unauthorized bonuses.
The Department of Education has released income guidelines for free and reduced price school lunches for the new school year.Children from a family of four making $29,000 or less will be eligible for free meals.Families of four making under $42,000 per year are eligible for reduced prices.Applications for free and reduced lunch will be sent home with each student on the first day of school.