An annual holiday tradition at the Hammond Street Senior Center was interrupted earlier this week.Diana Bosch spoke with the victims of a cold hearted theif who almost ruined their Christmas celebration.More than 40 members gathered at the Hammond Street Senior Center Tuesday to enjoy one of the center’s holiday traditions but the celebration almost didn’t happen.When a volunteer went to turn on the stove to heat up tea for the event, it wouldn’t turn on.”At first we thought, how did we end up running out of propane, was something wrong with the stove so we called our propane supplier,” said Development and Communications Direct Deanna Partridge.When the propane supplier arrived, he found the tank was gone.”He said we didn’t have any tank when we got here.
Police in Houlton are investigating the theft of Christmas presents and toys from a Salvation Army Community Center.Salvation Army officials say the stolen items were donated by residents and destined for kids who might otherwise wake up Christmas morning with little or nothing under the tree.According to Major Hermas Pearl, someone went through gift bags, stealing the most expensive items.Pearl says she is scrambling to see what she can do to replace the items.It’s not too late for people to donation.You can drop off donations at the Salvation Army at 12 Court Street in Houlton.
The Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory is receiving more than a million dollars in grant money to give folks more information about exposures to chemicals in the environment.The $1.8 million grant from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, will be given to the lab over five years.Doctor Carolyn Mattingly says it will allow her and her team to add important exposure studies to an online database, saying it will help users determine which chemicals are more likely to pose real exposure risks.
A family from the Knox County town of Appleton lost their home last night to fire.The Appleton Fire Chief says Curtis and Mary Starrette discovered the house in flames when they arrived at their Appleton Ridge Road home around 5:15.It took four departments around six hours to fight the fire.
A Livermore Falls man is in the hospital after officials say his car struck a telephone pole along Route 2 in Wilton Wednesday night.According to Wilton Police, 63-year-old Richard Wilson, was leaving the road near the Big Apple Store at the corner of Route 2 and the Munson Road around 6:30 Wednesday night, when he lost control and crashed.Wilson is in critical condition at Central Maine Medical Center.
Weather conditions are to blame for accidents on Route 1A in Dedham Wednesday night.According to the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department, a pick up truck heading towards Ellsworth lost control on the slippery roads, crossed the center line and struck another truck.Due to that crash an oncoming car tried to stop, lost control and hit the car in front of it.No one was seriously injured in the two accidents.
A man is in the hospital after officials say his car struck a telephone pole along Route 2 in the Western Maine town of Wilton Wednesday night.Officials tell us that the crash happened at approximately 6:30pm when the vehicle left the road near the Big Apple store at the corner of Route 2 and the Munson Road.The vehicle’s only occupant was taken to Franklin Memorial Hospital with serious injuries, and was later transferred to Central Maine Medical Center.His name has been withheld pending notification of his family.Police say that speed and alcohol don’t appear to be a factor in the crash, they also say no charges are pending at this time.
Federal officials have determined that the 2009 red tide outbreak in Maine resulted in a commercial fishery failure.The disaster declaration makes Maine shellfish harvesters eligible for disaster aid, but the incoming congress will have to approve funding assistance.Much of the Maine coast was shut down to shellfish harvesting between April and September of 2009 because of outbreaks of toxic algae blooms, forcing hundreds of clam diggers out of work.In October of 2009, Governor Baldacci asked that a fisheries disaster be declared for the state’s shellfish industry.
If you’ll be near Rockland this Christmas, you can sit down for a free holiday dinner.Rockland Synagogue, Adas Youshuron, will prepare a meal at Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church.They’re inviting anyone interested to join them for hor d’ouevres at noon, followed by the dinner at one.The church is located at 11 White Street in Rockland.
Folks in Lincoln will get a chance to weigh in on a proposed new Public Works Garage next month.Town Councilors voted last night to hold a public hearing January 10th.Last month councilors turned down a nearly 2-and-a-half million dollar plan for the garage.Now they’re considering a project that would cost about half as much.
Senator Susan Collins joined President Barack Obama on the podium as he signed into law a bill allowing gays to serve openly in the military.Collins and Senator Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut were sponsors in the senate of the bill to end the so-called “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy put into effect under President Clinton.
A fire that destroyed a home in Winterport yesterday may have been caused by a candle burning in an upstairs bedroom.But investigators say they’ll never know for sure because there was too much damage.The blaze broke out at the house on Twining Road around two yesterday afternoon.By the time it was under control, the house was nearly gone.No one was hurt but firefighters did rescue three pet snakes from the burning house.
Two firefighters are okay tonight after falling through a floor while fighting a barn fire yesterday.Captain Rick Caldwell and Jordan Burdet from Skowhegan Fire responded to a call on Maple Street around 12:30 am.The men fell about eight feet down though the floor of a barn that is attached to the home.The men suffered minor injuries, but continued to work on the fire.Fire investigators are praising the firefighters who were able to stop the fire from spreading into the house.Officials say a wood stove pipe that was too close to the ceiling of the barn started that blaze.We’re told the family living there has been able to move back into their home.