There will be a silent auction this weekend in Bangor to help in the fight against Alzheimer’s Disease.The Maine Veterans Home is hosting the auction.Bidding begins Thursday morning at 8 and goes on until Friday morning.Final bids must be placed by 10 am and items must be picked up by noon on Friday.Winners will be notified by phone.To see a list of the items and to find out more information, call Shirley Shannon at 299-1571.
An investigation into accusations of sexual misconduct by students at Colby College has been completed.Fifteen students were charged with a range of violations of school policy including sexual misconduct, sexual harassment and lying to colby officials.School officials say fourteen of the cases have been resolved and one is still in process.They say some of the cases have resulted in students permanently leaving Colby, other students have been suspended from the school.School officials say the District Attorney’s office and Waterville Police informed them the acts did not constitute a crime.The student newspaper, The Colby Echo, says football players were involved.Colby’s football coach resigned shortly after the incident came to light.
Students in veazie are learning the importance of giving.The Veazie Community School is collecting loose change and boxes of pasta to benefit local food pantries.The winter months are a tough time for food banks because that’s when most of their donations from the holiday season have dried up.All of the money and boxes of pasta collected will be donated to Cumulus Radio’s Ton O’ Pasta Food Drive.”To get them to understand you don’t just give at one time of the year, you try to give throughout the year which is important just to know that there are some people not as fortunate, there are kids in our own school that may be benefiting from some of the food they are raising,” said Physical Education Teacher Nick Lyons.The Ton o’ Pasta Food Drive is this Saturday.You can drop off pasta at the Hannaford on Union Street in Bangor, as well as the stores in Brewer, Old Town and Ellsworth from 10 am to 2 pm.If you don’t have pasta, cash donations are also accepted.
A church in Augusta is hosting a supper and auction to help folks heat their homes.It’s happening at the Prince of Peace Lutheran Church on Eastern Avenue at 5:30 Saturday.A chicken pot pie dinner will be followed by a chocolate dessert contest.The suggested donation for dinner is $5 per person, a maximum of $20 per family.
Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney will pay his first campaign visit to Maine.Maine GOP Chairman Charlie Webster says the former Massachusetts governor is expected to speak Friday evening at a rally at Portland Yacht Services, a day before caucus results are announced on Saturday.The only other candidate to visit Maine was Ron Paul late last month.State party officials have encouraged Republicans to hold caucuses between Feb.
Tucked away in the corner of Bangor Floral, you’ll find a place where people like Daniel Heacock are parting with memories to try and make ends meet.Heacock’s brother passed away last year leaving behind a collection of gold coins.”I was looking through them and I wanted to see what they were worth,” he said.Heacock tells us he is going through financial hardships and is in need of an operation.That’s what brought him to the Diamond and Gold Outlet, a gold buy back store that’s been in Bangor for eight years.With a high price of gold in a down economy, a different kind of gold rush has kept the company’s President Mark Dube busy.”It’s just an alternative for them, especially if it’s something they’re not wearing any more,” he said.They’ve seen their business double over the past two years, which has outgrown their space.”It’s just part of growth, part of long term plan to grow our business and to potentially franchise in the future,” he said.Nancy Forster Holt with the school of business at Husson University says a bad economy is a good thing for gold buy back businesses.”They provide an outlet for the consumer.
Jealousy over a woman apparently led to an assault in Bangor Tuesday morning.Authorities say a man was struck above the eye with a beer bottle at a local homeless encampment.The attacker has been identified as Michael Ireland, 47.According to police, the victim chased Ireland off with a hatchet and a baseball bat.He told officers that he believes Ireland hit him because of a jealousy issue over a woman the two men are acquainted with.The victim reportedly refused treatment.Officers arrested Ireland Tuesday night, after the tenant of an apartment found Ireland sleeping on their couch.Police believe Ireland shop lifted the beer can allegedly used in the attack, from Leadbetter’s store in Bangor yesterday morning.
The chief of the Maine Turnpike Authority says financial reforms at the agency have already saved millions of dollars with the potential for millions more.Executive Director Peter Mills presented the agency’s 2013 budget to the Legislature’s Transportation Committee on Tuesday, outlining dramatic reductions in Turnpike spending, with the budget dropping sharply from $41.8 million to $37.5 million.The proposed savings include a $2.2 million decrease in employee salaries, including sharp cutbacks in state trooper overtime.The agency also eliminated all outside lobbying services.Mills says the agency is also in the process of refinancing its bond debt for a projected savings of $13 million over the life of the bonds.The budget will go before the Transportation Committee on Thursday.
Lawmakers say they have finally reached an agreement on governor LePage’s supplemental budget.The governor wants to remove 65,000 Mainers from Medicaid coverage to close what he says is a $220,000,000 gap during the next two years.The Appropriations and Financial Affairs committee said early Wednesday morning it has agreed on $120,000,000 in cuts.Lawmakers reportedly voted unanimously to preserve health care for thousands of low-income Mainers, including veterans, the mentally ill, and adults with serious medical conditions.
Organizers of a Fourth of July parade in central Maine are cancelling this year’s procession after last year’s event was marred by bloody fistfights, public drunkenness, drug paraphernalia sales and pickup drivers burning rubber.West Athens has been holding a zany parade each Independence Day for 40 years featuring madcap floats, belly dancing, hippies, children’s kazoo bands and a political satire play in a local gravel pit.But the parade won’t go on this year after more than 50 residents petitioned selectmen asking them to stop it.Tamar Etingen, one of the original parade participants, told the Morning Sentinel that the reported use of the synthetic drug known as “bath salts” during last summer’s parade changed theatmosphere from peace and fun to violence and aggression.
Authorities say a 64-year-old Canton man is missing and presumed dead after running back into his burning home to try to save his dogs.The state fire marshal’s office says the man was last seen yelling for help from a second-floor window as flames engulfed his house Tuesday evening.The fire broke out around 5 p.m.