The local Red Cross says there’s a critical need for blood.Nationally, the American Red Cross’ blood supply is now 50-thousand units smaller than it was in June of last year.The Bangor Office is adjusting its hours in hopes of bringing in more donors.Close to two-hundred people donated at their recent Chill and Grill Blood Drive.Numbers they hope will continue to grow.”People as you heard rely on those blood transfusions and it’s important that we have them to be able to provide that for our hospitals,” says Lisa Frazell, an account executive with the American Red Cross in Bangor.To find out how you can help the Red Cross, log onto newenglandblood.org or give them a call at 1-800-GIVE-LIFE.
Many Maine families just don’t have enough beds to go around.It’s an issue that was brought to the attention of the staff at radio station 97.1 The Bear.They want to help families struggling to make ends meet and foster families without enough beds for new foster children.
A new commission was announced Friday in Augusta that will take a closer look at the abuse suffered by Maine’s Wabanaki children while in the care of the Maine Child Welfare System.Five Wabanaki Chiefs joined Governor LePage in announcing the formation of the Maine Wabanaki-State Child Welfare Truth and Reconciliation Commission, a group that will take a look at some of the abuses suffered by Wabanaki kids who were removed from their homes by the state and put into foster care.
A $30,000 reward for information leading to missing Maine toddler Ayla Reynolds ends tomorrow.The money was put up by local attorney John Nale and other Waterville community members.Nale announced last month the reward would be withdrawn on June 30 and pleaded with anyone who has information to come forward.Today he tells TV-5 News he’s disappointed no one has come forward.20-month-old Ayla Reynolds was reported missing from her Waterville home in December State Police say they’ve received 1200 leads, leading to several searches.Earlier this month police said they believe Ayla is dead.
A man accused of causing a more than 8-hour standoff in Lagrange was in court Friday afternoon.Police say it started Thursday morning when the man assaulted a woman in Orono.Raymond Baker, 47, pleaded not guilty to charges that include of domestic violence assault, criminal restraint and violation of bail conditions.An Orono Police official tells us Baker wound up in Lagrange, barricaded in a house on Brimstone Road.We’re told his father and a child were also in the home but he released them unharmed.At some point Baker left the house and eventually turned himself in.He’s being held on 10-thousand dollars bail and has been ordered to stay away from the woman who claims to have been assaulted.
The curtain will come up on an outdoor film series Friday night when River City Cinema kicks off “Give My Regards to Bangor”.Every Friday night for the next five weeks, they will show a classic movie musical in downtown Bangor’s Pickering Square.The first film is 42nd Street.The film begins after dark, admission is free.Guests are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and blankers, snacks will be on sale.
The Navy says it’ll be more than a month before it has new details about a fire that severely damaged a submarine in dry dock at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.The Naval Sea Systems Command said Thursday that additional details on repair costs and investigations into the USS Miami fire won’t be available until mid to late August.Early estimates put the damage at $400 million after a fire that started in a vacuum cleaner got out of control May 23 while the Miami was undergoing a 20-month overhaul.The fire damaged the torpedo room, crew quarters, and command and control areas of the nuclear-powered sub.