Governor Baldacci has declared a state of emergency for Maine.State government offices are closed today.The governor and other emergency workers are urging folks to stay home, if possible.Amtrak has canceled train service from Maine down to New York.Crews are now working to clear the tracks.No word when Amtrak expects service to resume.
A Waterville man suffered second-degree burns to his arms and hands Thursday when gasoline sprayed on him and ignited while he changed the car’s fuel filter.Eighteen-year-old Jacob Ashline is a senior at Waterville High School.He told the Morning sSntinel his injuries could have been much worse if he hadn’t dived into a snow pile.Ashline was taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, where he was treated and released that day.(AP)
Officials say a firefighter was injured and a homeowner suffered minor smoke inhalation in a Christmas night fire in Alfred.Authorities say firefighters were forced to shuttle in water to douse the fire that was reported around 8 pm.The fire destroyed a garage and two apartments above it.Officals say the firefighter was taken to a hospital for a shoulder injury and the homeowner was treated on scene.The Fire Marshal’s Office has been called in to investigate.(AP)
The folks at the Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport just got a big boost from an anonymous donor.Rob Poindexter has more on how this donor is motivating others to donate.”It is kind of a shame that local people often drive by and think to themselves someday I’m going to stop in there.”Here at the Penobscot Marine Museum they celebrate the history of the penobscot Bay and the shipbuilding industry that thrived in Searsport.
State and Saco Police are investigating the stabbing of a local man inside his apartment.Authorities say a 911 call was received around 12:30 Friday morning, saying 50-year-old Dale Berube needed an ambulance.They say Berube was found in his bathtub with multiple stab wounds.He was taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland and underwent emergency surgery.The call was made by Berube’s roommate, 48-year-old Pamela Young, who was interviewed and released.The incident remains under investigation.
Since 1991, Manna Minstries has been giving hope to those suffering in Maine.On Christmas Day, their message is clear as volunteers from all over the area served hot meals to those who need it most.”For them to sacrifice Christmas Day, Christmas Day to come down to Manna to help their neighbors it’s unbelievable,” said Executive Director Bill Rae.Hundreds of people gathered in the gynasium to receive christmas dinner and of course gifts.
A Northport family were without a home this Christmas after fire tore through their house Friday.The Fire Marshal’s Office says a candle is to blame for the fire.It happened just after noon on the Cheri Lane Road.Authorities say 71-year-old Nina Tyutyunnyk suffered serious burns and smoke inhalation and was taken to Mass General Hospital in Boston by helicopter.They say three of her grandchildren were home, but two were outside playing at the time of the fire.The youngest, was rescued by one of the other children.Fire crews from Northport, Belfast and Lincolnville were able to contain the flames to one half of the home, but there was major smoke damage to the other half.”It’s never any fun to have a fire just before Christmas or Christmas day itself.
The Belfast United Methodist Church made sure folks didn’t go without a hot meal and some company this Christmas.They hosted their second annual free community Christmas dinner.All the food was provided by donations and church members did all the cooking.Folks were treated to ham, turkey and all the trimmings.They also had musical performances they could enjoy.Members of the church say it’s important for them to offer this for the community.” There’s a time in our lives sometimes when we don’t always have a lot of people around us.
A fire in Brewer Saturday morning claimed the life of one male.Crews responded to the fire on the Day Road just before 5:30 am.Authorities say 64-year-old Arthur Hatch died and three others living in the house were injured.They say the fire started in the Hatch’s bedroom and his body was found on the floor of that room.The four other occupants of the house were able to escape.Three of those occupants, 51-year-old Soadia Gusha, 41-year-old Noufissa Bernikhow and 38-year-old Yahya Daghmoumi, were taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center for smoke inhalation.The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
It has been nearly a year since a massive earthquake struck Haiti, yet there’s still much work to be done to rebuild the country.Mainers continue to help with those efforts.This past year A Heart for Haiti missions, a non-profit that Julienne Lebrun of Madison co-founded, has raised $20,000 for children in Haiti.With the help of local donations, Lebrun delivered gifts this month to twenty-one children at an orphanage in Haiti.
As folks scramble to buy last minute gifts, others are buying items to complete their Christmas meal.Diana Bosch spoke to customers at Frank’s Bakery in Bangor who are buying baked goods, instead of cooking them.”The oven hasn’t turned off in 3 days so it’s been round the clock,” said co-owner Theresa Soucy of Frank’s Bakery.’Tis a busy season for the family owned shop as customers line up to get baked goods for Christmas dinners.For customer Joliene Hayward, she says she’s having time off during Christmas to make up for cooking on Thanksgiving.The shop’s 36 employees are all on staff, some pulling in 18 hour days to make sure every customer gets what they want.”Everybody loves Christmas time, we try to make it as easy on our customers as we are able to,” said Bernadette Gaspar, another co-ownner.
A Northport family will be without a home this Christmas after fire tore through their house Friday afternoon.According to the Northport Fire Department, a grandmother and two kids were able to get out of the burning home on Cheri Lane safely.The grandmother did suffer minor burns.Fire crews from Northport, Belfast and Lincolnville were able to contain the blaze to one half of the home, but the other half did suffer major smoke damage.Fire officials tell us the State Fire Marshal’s Office will be investigating the cause of the fire.We’re told the family was able to save all the Christmas gifts that were inside the home.
More than 1,500 kids will have presents for Christmas thanks to the Maine Children’s Home for Little Wanderers.For more than 35 years, the organization, based in Waterville, has been collecting donations of clothing and toys for underprivileged kids from across the state.Business, churches, schools and organizations donate to the program each year, helping make it a success.For more information call 872-0261.