Investigators say an autopsy is under way on a body that was found in the rubble of a house destroyed by fire in the central Maine town of Readfield.Public safety spokesman Steve Mccausland says fire investigators found the body late Wednesday morning.According to fire officials the call to the home on the church road came in from a neighbor around 3-30AM.
Bangor city councilors will get an update on the proposed new Bangor Arena tonight.Councilor Gerry Palmer tells us representatives of Sink, Combs and Dethlefs as well as Cianbro will give an update on the design of the proposed arena.Palmer says there may be a financial update tonight as well.The proposed arena is projected to cost about $65-million.Tonight’s Council Workshop is at 5 o’clock at Bangor City Hall.
The jury has begun deliberating in the trial of a man accused of kidnapping his girlfriend’s children.Police say 34-year old Colin Haag took 35-year old Amanda Cyphert’s children illegally from their home in South Carolina.Police say Haag posed as a minister and Cyphert posed as his wife while making their way through several states.The two were arrested last spring in Ellsworth.Both Haag and Cyphert are on trial.
A carbon monoxide leak at Empire Beauty School in Bangor that sent more than a dozen people to the hospital yesterday was caused by a faulty heating/air conditioning unit, according to a spokesperson for the school.Angela Watson tells us a crack in the heat exchange is being repaired today and the school has another heating unit and portable heaters that are heating the school today, which is open.Watson says the Bangor Fire Department tested the air quality and gave them the go-ahead to hold classes.Watson says this incident was unrelated to a similar carbon monoxide leak in November.
State Fire Investigators say a fire at an auto repair shop in Fairfield was accidental.Officials say it started in the electrical area of an air compressor in the garage.It broke out just before 11 yesterday morning at B&L Discount Auto on the Norridgewock Road.Owner Roland Landry says he and a friend were working on a car in the garage when he noticed the wall was on fire.The blaze destroyed more than $100,000 worth of equipment.The garage was destroyed, but the fire didn’t spread to the house.
This Valentine’s Day weekend, families in need are relying on the community’s heart.Cumulus radio stations are teaming up to try and collect a ton of pasta to benefit Manna Ministry and local food cupboards.Last year, the stations collected more than three tons of pasta.They hope listeners will help them beat last year’s record by donating a box of pasta, this Saturday.The stations will be broadcasting live from Danforth’s in Hermon, and Bell’s Orono IGA between 10 a.m.
Chocolate is always a safe gift to give on Valentine’s Day, and this weekend, there will be plenty to pick from.The Greater Fairfield Chocolate Festival kicks off, this Saturday.The chocolate buffet offers treats and trinkets from some of Maine’s best crafters and artists.This year’s event is sponsored by the Salvation Army Waterville Corps.They’ll have live music, plenty of shopping, and events for the kids at the Community Center in downtown Fairfield.It will be open from 9 a.m.
Hancock County may not be holding their Relay for Life event until June, but the group got a head start Wednesday night.The American Cancer Society Relay for Life of Hancock County held their kickoff rally in Trenton.The rally was the first opportunity for folks to register a team.While there were some birthday decorations around the room, it wasn’t because it was actually someone’s birthday, but because birthdays are the theme of this year’s relay for life.The idea is to honor survivors who get to celebrate one more birthday cancer free.While the night was filled with fun, organizers know the impact that the relay has on the fight against cancer…If you missed out tonight, don’t worry, it’s not too late to register a teamYou can log on to www.relayforlife.org/hancockme for more information.The Relay for Life of Hancock County will be held on June 3rd and 4th at Ellsworth Middle School
Members of Maine’s business community gathered in Augusta on Wednesday in a show of support for Governor LePage’s regulatory reform proposals.The event was hosted by the Maine State Chamber of Commerce.Last year the chamber released a report called Making Maine Work.It includes a list of things that business owners feel are standing in the way of business growth here.Government regulations made the list’s top five.
A local elementary school started fundraising for a new stage curtain three years ago.On Wednesday, they met their goal with the help of a big donation.Hermon Elementary School received a 5-thousand dollar grant from Lowe’s Home Improvement Store.It’s part of the store’s toolbox for education program that aims to help public schools all throughout the country.Hermon Elementary applied for the grant to help with their fundraiser, project curtain call.
A Maine barred owl that had been decapitating chickens has been caught.Authorities say the owl was captured Sunday in a barn where it was killing a chicken a day and flying off with the head.The owl was taken to a wildlife rehabilitation center.Wildlife biologist Judy Camuso says owls are having a tough time finding food this winter and the owl was near death.She says chickens are too large for owls to carry off, so it made do with the heads.