The Maine Public Utilities Commission is reminding customers winter disconnection protection rules come to an end Tuesday.Electric and gas utilities are not allowed to disconnect service from customers who have overdue bills between November 15th and April 19th without permission from the commission’s consumer assistance division.
Tomorrow is another state shutdown day, as part of a plan to save maine money.Most state offices will be closed.Courts will open and certain workers such as state police and game wardens will be working.If you planned to visit a state agency tomorrow, give a call ahead to make sure it’s open.
A popular pizza shop is growing, and for folks in Bar Harbor it means they don’t have to drive to Ellsworth to grab a slice from one of their favorite places.This building in Bar Harbor used to be home to Miguel’s Mexican Restaurant.” Taco pizza and nachos, that’s about as Mexican as we get these days,” said Gerry Nasberg, president of the Acadia Area Restaurant Group.Pat’s Pizza has set up shop in the coastal community.
For most Americans Monday is the last day to file their 2010 tax returns.Because of the Patriots Day holiday, Mainers get an additional day to get their paperwork in.A group gathered on the streets in Waterville to put their name on a document.But the gathering had nothing to do with their own taxes but their hopes of having one major corporation pay up.” I’m retired and I know what it’s going to be like in terms of my retirement with social security and stuff like that to me it’s very important that we get everybody paying their fair share including the corporations of America,” said Peter Madigan.
The Waterfront Concert Series has filled another summer date in Bangor with another big name musical act.Saturday, July 23rd, Melissa Etheridge will perform at the Waterfront Pavillion.Tickets will go on sale this Friday, the 22nd.For more information, visit www.waterfrontconcerts.com
Bangor Hyrdo crews are continuing to repair damage caused by strong winds that began early Sunday morning.Broken tree limbs and fallen power lines are reported in many areas.Officials say some customers located in Deer Isle and Stonington will likely be without power Sunday night, as well as those on Cranberry Island.They say anyone who is without power by nine should expect to be without it overnight.As of last report, close to 1,000 people were still without power.
(Associated Press)A three-year-old child was rescued from a pond in Kittery and saved after being given CPR.Emergency responders are calling the event a near drowning.Police and firefighters were called to an area of Norton Road around 6pm Saturday.They say the child was given cardio-pulmonary resuscitation to regain breathing and taken to a hospital.
Another Bangor Home Show has come to an end.Show Promoter, Dean Appleman says this year’s show was almost record breaking as far as folks who attended.He says there were more than 200 companies on hand and he had about thirty more vendors than usual.He says the feedback he’s heard is that their sales have been overwhelming, which is good news for everybody.” Here’s one of the key things.They are going to be able to put some of their part-timers back to full-time.
Body art was on display this weekend in Hermon.It was the twentieth annual tattoo convention.There were also tattoo contests taking place throughout the weekend for outstanding artwork.This year’s convention featured about thirty artists from New England and other states.Organizers say it’s a great family event because they do fake tattoos for the children.” We find that people are getting more education about bad tattoos, good tattoos, clean tattoos and healthy ways of getting tattoos nowadays.
Fire crews in Blue Hill received a call Sunday afternoon of a structure fire on Pleasant Street.Officials say they had to close down the street while battling the flames.The owner of the house returned from work to find smoke coming from the basement and immediately called 911.Authorities say when they arrived on scene the floor of the house was completely gone.They say fighting the fire from inside was difficult.” Basically just the condition of the floor, we can’t get in to put wet stuff on the red stuff.”Officials say the house is a total loss.The cause is still under investigation.
An Exeter family is without a home after a fire broke out in their kitchen on Saturday night.Multiple fire departments responded to the residence on Exeter Road just after 11 p.m.Corinna fire officials say the blaze was started by cooking oil on the stove.Once fire crews arrived, their biggest challenge was trying to contain the rapidly moving flames.”It’s going from one end of the house to the other.