A candle placed too close to flammable material is what sparked a house fire in Northport Friday.That ruling from the State Fire Marshal’s Office.The blaze broke out around noon on Cheri Lane Road.71-year-old Nina Tyutyunnyk suffered serious burns and was flown to Mass General Hospital in Boston.Authorities say she kept going into the burning home to retrieve belongings until she was stopped by a neighbor.They say three of her grandchildren were home.
Fire crews are working to put out a blaze at an idled wood products mill in the Western Maine town of Fryeburg.The fire was called in this morning.Town officials say the mill was formerly owned by the Saunders Brothers Company and sold at auction last spring.The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating.
Police say a fourth person has been arrested in connection with the stabbing of a Waterville cab driver.33-year old Christina Pena-Cantor of Clinton was taken into custody yesterday.Police believe she was involved in planning the robbery and assault against the cab driver on December 1st.The driver told police a passenger grabbed him from behind, around the throat and he was then stabbed twice.He was released from the hospital the next day.Two 14-year-old girls and 18-year-old Michael Damron Junior have also been arrested, and are facing charges of robbery and elevated aggravated assault.
A Rockland man was charged with drunk driving after he crashed into a snow plow.Police say 23-year-old Adam Burke hit the plow as it was clearing out snow on Main Street in Rockland.They say Burke drove over a snow bank to try and pass the truck but instead ran right into it.
The new Lowe’s in Bangor opened Monday, but Thursday was its grand opening celebration and a time for the store to give back too.Lowe’s presented a check for $1,000 to the Ronald McDonald house.And all Lowe’s gift cards bought at their store Thursday will be matched dollar for dollar to help out Habitat for Humanity of the greater Bangor area.”Lowe’s is really big on trying to get into the communities.
The last thing Myrtilla Laieski remembers is working in her garden on a spring day.”After I got the last plant in the ground I went to come in the house and I was kind of staggering.”Two and a half weeks later she woke up in a hospital bed to hear news that would change her life.”The doctors came in and said it was from the sepsis.
Governor Baldacci is requesting a damage assessment for the rainstorm that deluged eastern Maine earlier this month.The December 12 storm dropped 6 to 8 inches of rain in places, washing out local roads, flooding basements and closing a border crossing.The damages come in at at least $1,700,000.Washington County was hit the hardest, with an estimated $1.1 million in damages.If a disaster declaration is granted, the federal government will cover three-quarters of the repair bill.
The folks at Literacy Volunteers of Bangor are looking for more tutors to help folks improve their reading skills.The first training sessions for volunteer tutors starts Tuesday, January 11th.The training sessions take place from six to nine Tuesday and Thursday nights for an entire month.There is a thirty-five-dollar registration fee, and scholarships are available.Literacy Volunteers of Bangor says there’s a lengthy waiting list for its services.Upcoming training sessions will be held at the United Technology Center located at 200 Hogan Road in Bangor.For more information log on to www.lvbangor.org.
Colby College has begun building a biomass heating plant that school officials hope will replace about 1-million gallons of heating fuel each year with wood chips and forest waste.The aim is to give the college a quantum leap in its desire to be carbon neutral by 2015.Officials say the 11 million dollar facility will pay for itself in 6 to 10 years.It is scheduled for completion by next fall.The college plans to get the biomass fuel from forest operations within fifty miles of the Waterville Campus.