A Bangor man is accused of breaking into a store and then later stealing a car.26 year old Joseph Collins of Bangor is facing a slew of charges after police link him to two crimes scenes in the Bangor area.Police say they responded to an alarm going off at the Corner Mini Mart on Union Street around 2 o’clock Saturday morning.
A three-story building many consider to be an eyesore in the Maine town of Skowhegan is going to be gone before the snow flies.The demolition of the old Wallace Radio Shop and two other buildings that wrap around it at the corner of Madison Avenue and Commercial Street is expected to start Oct.
Maine towns and cities are facing a pair of deadlines to apply for federal grants to repair damage from Hurricane Irene, which was a tropical storm by the time it dumped flooding waters on the state in late August and lashed it with damaging winds.State officials and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) say Maine city, town and county governments, school districts and certain private nonprofits soon must submit their requests for up to 75 percent of the cost of approved projects FEMA will pay.The deadlines for Franklin, Oxford and York counties will be Thursday, and for Lincoln County Oct.
People in Augusta got to meet the city’s heroes when the fire department opened its doors Sunday.The department hosted an open house at the Hartford fire Station on Water Street to kick off Fire Prevention Week.Kids got to meet Sparky the Fire Dog and Smokey the bear.They also got a close up view of the firetrucks and learned how firefighters use their equipment.Augusta Fire Chief Roger Audette says this is the perfect opportunity for the community to meet their first reponders and to educate them about what they do.”It’s just another way for us to send information home to people about maintaining their smoke alarms, practicing fire safety in their homes.”Chief Audette wants to remind you that November 6th is Daylight Saving Time, that’s when you should change your smoke detector’s battery.
Area high school students didn’t spend Dunday hanging out at the mall, instead they spent it at school.”Some figures say 20-25 percent of teens at some point in time will experience anxiety or depression or both,” says Acadia Hospital’s Alan Cameau.It’s a statistic that hits close to home for Hermon High School sophomore Faith Bishop.”I’ve dealt a lot with depression and anxiety from myself from everyone around me because there’s a lot of it in high school.”Which is why she wrote a screenplay about two students who deal with depression their senior year of high school.The script is now being brought to life with the help of Acadia Hospital and Project Aware.Once its finished, the film will be distributed to schools across the state.”This is just one piece of the puzzle one way to hopefully shift perspective and attitude and empower young people to encourage those around them to provide support,” Cameau said.Support for the film has come from beyond the halls of Hermon High.Students from Bangor High School, Old town, Hampden, and Brewer participated in the film.”I wasn’t expecting it honestly so it was a great surprise seeing this many people show up and having all of this,” Bishop said.Bringing teenagers together to put this important issue into the spotlight, in hopes what they learn today will help them tomorrow.
Snakes invaded the Maine Discovery Museum to help kids get over the fears of creepy crawlers.Students from Unity College taught the kids about the role snakes play in the ecosystem.Some brave children even held the snakes in their own hands.Christine Lawson says their main goal is to get kids more comfortable with the animals around them.”I think they walked away with a greater understanding, if somewhat limited to the age of snakes maybe they’re a little less afraid of them now and maybe not so inclined to scream and run away when they see an animal outside.”For a complete list of activities coming up at the maine discovery museum you can visit their website at maine discovery museum dot com.
A twenty-one unit structure in thomaston caught fire this afternoon, leaving residents without a home.This cell phone video of the scene was sent to us by Gregory Jones, who lives in the area.The Thomaston Fire Department says the call came in around 1:30 Sunday afternoon.The fire started in the top unit of the structure on Knox Street and quickly spread.Firefighters from Rockland, South Thomaston, Cushing and Warren helped battle the blaze.The top half was gutted in, destroying most of the building.No injuries were reported.The State Fire Marshal’s office is investigating.The Red Cross is helping residents.
We can’t always plan for the road life takes us down, and sometimes the bumps along the way can set us back.”I have a disability called spina bifida,” said Matthew Jamieson.At seventeen years old, Jamieson is used to the hurdles.”Doesn’t give you use of your legs.