Hope is shining bright at CancerCare of Maine.The Lights of Hope tree was lit Tuesday at EMMC’s CancerCare of Maine.All the lights on the tree were bought to remember those who have battled cancer.Over 600 lights were purchased and all the proceeds will go back to CancerCare of Maine to help those in the community struggling with the disease.You can still purchase a light for the tree, just call Healthcare charities at 973-5055 for more details.
Christmas trees can be beautiful, but they can also be dangerous.There are some experts who say protecting your home really comes down to common sense.Some might lead you to believe that a Christmas tree in your home is a fire waiting to happen.
Businesses in downtown Bangor took part in a friendly competition in the spirit of the holiday season.For the fourth year in a row, the Downtown Bangor Partnership sponsored a storefront decorating contest.The partnership is a non-profit organization that promotes businesses and activities in the downtown area.Rebecca’s on Main Street and Henry’s Bridal Boutique and Formal Wear on Washington Street tied for the third place.
What once started as a plan for some basic renovations has turned into a 5.3 million dollar project at Old Town High School.”We’ve known for some time that our science labs were really inefficient and outdated,” said David Walker, Superintendent of RSU 34.With the help of stimulus funds, Walker was able to break ground on his vision for the school’s future.”Six new science labs, two new art rooms and a new apply shop.
Officials with Hampden Public Safety say a 55-year old man fell into what looked like a sandbox around 1 o’clock Tuesday afternoon.Emergency crews were called to Sunrise Materials on Coldbrook Road for reports of a man trapped chest-deep in a concrete material.Officials say the substance he was trapped in was a fine sand.They were able to rescue the man by digging around him and using a pulley to stabilize him.Crews on scene say he should be fine.
According to officials with Hampden Public Safety the man stuck in construction material in Hampden has been removed.Several emergency crews were called to Sunrise Materials on Coldbrook Road in Hampden, just before 1 o’clock Tuesday afternoon.The call came in as a 55-year-old man trapped waist-deep in a concrete material.
Several emergency crews are at Sunrise Materials on Coldbrook Road in Hampden, we’re told a person is trapped waist-deep in dry cement mix.According to dispatchers for the Penobscot Regional Communication Center, it happened just before 1 o’clock Tuesday afternoon.
Maine’s highest court has upheld the convictions and concurrent life prison sentences of an Augusta man convicted in a brutal machete attack on a father and his 10-year-old daughter in Pittston.The defense claimed that dual life sentences imposed on Daniel Fortune were unconstitutionally disproportionate to the crime.
Still need to get your Christmas shopping done?There’s a special raffle in Belmont to benefit the fire department Saturday.Two gift baskets will be raffled off.Both are themed, including one for the sportsman in your life that includes a free oil change.There will also be a bake sale at the event on Augusta Road in Belmot.It’s happening from 1pm to 6 pm Saturday.Tickets for the raffle can be bought at the fire deparment.Winners do not to be present to win.For more information call Susan Totman at 342-4346
The Legislature’s budget-reviewing committee begins four days of review of proposed changes in Medicaid that could leave tens of thousands of Mainers without coverage.Health and Human Services Commissioner Mary Mayhew on Tuesday will explain the cuts and answer questions from the Appropriations Committee.Governor.
A Mars Hill man wanted by police in connection with a reported domestic assault in November has been arrested.According to police Chad Walton, 30, was stopped by State Police while traveling on I-95 in Dyer Brook Monday night.Walton was a passenger in the car.Walton reportedly fled on foot, but was apprehended by troopers after a short chase.He was transported to Houlton regional hospital for treatment from exposure and was treated and released.