A family flare-up in old town ended with the arrest of a man wanted in a drug trafficking case.25-year-old Richard Watson of Orono was arrested Tuesday morning.Old Town police Sergeant Michael Hashey says police responded to a disturbance at the Riverside Mobile Home Park.Police say Watson was there and was arrested after they ran his name and found out he was wanted for failing to appear in court.Police say Watson was arrested in Bangor in October when undercover drug agents allegedly bought oxycodone from him and his girlfriend.He was arrested again in February, accused of the same crime.
Bangor Police continue to look for the man who robbed the Big Apple store on State Street Monday morning.We now have surveillance pictures of the suspect.A woman at the store told police a man was outside smoking, covered his face with a bandana then entered the store and demanded money.
Two people from Veazie are behind bars, charged with drug trafficking.Police say 26-year old Jamie Boyd and 27-year old Shawn Bryant were arrested after a four month investigation.Police say they stopped their vehicle on I-95 in Carmel around 1 this morning and found methadone, oxymorphone, and oxycodone on Boyd.Police say they also searched their residence and found a gun, more oxycodone and methadone, and percocet tablets.Police say the street value of the drugs is worth more than $14,000.Boyd is being held on trafficking in scheduled drugs and trafficking in prison contraband.
A convicted sex offender has been fined for failing to comply with the sex offender registry law for the sixth time.According to court records, 31-year-old Michael Slobuszewski of Milo appeared at the Dover-Foxcroft district court on the latest charge.Slobuszewski has failed to sign up with the Maine Sex Offender registry since he was convicted of two counts of unlawful sexual contact in 2000.District Attorney Chris Almy says Slobuszewski has violated that law six times.In 2009, he served 18 months in jail for one of those violations.He was fined 5-hundred dollars after the felony charge was reduced to a misdemeanor.
The Bangor Chinese school has landed a federal grant to send students to China.Twenty high school students will spend six weeks there this summer with all expenses paid.The Chinese school has received almost one hundred applications for the trip.Executive Director Jing Zhang says it won’t be easy to choose who gets to go but she has specific criteria in mind.
A Bangor developer’s plans to buy the Muddy Rudder restaurant in Brewer have fallen through.Meanwhile the restaurant remains open for business.General manager Tom Workman says Larry Springer has backed out of a deal to buy it.Last year Springer told TV 5 news he planned to establish a portside bar and lounge on the Bangor side of the Penobscot River.
The State has picked a company called Eastern Maine Railroad to operate 233 miles of state-owned rail line in Northern Maine.That stretch of track used to be owned by the Montreal, Maine and Atlantic Railway.The State bought the tracks after that railroad said it was abandoning them because it was losing too much money.Eastern Maine Railroad runs another rail line in maine that runs between Vanceboro and Brownville Junction.The 233 miles of track it’s taking over stretches from Millinocket to Madawaska with branch lines to Caribou, Presque Isle, Easton, Houlton and Limestone.
Five schools in our region have just made a list that they just as soon avoid.The Maine Department of Education has named ten schools eligible for federal improvement grants.The schools are on the list because of poor performance on standardized tests.Among the ten schools named: Ellsworth, Nokomis, Georges Valley, Madison and Lawrence High Schools.The schools are eligible to apply for a share of about 4-million dollars in federal funds to improve things.
A Lewiston woman is going to prison for six months for setting up fraudulent marriages in Maine.Prosecutors say 32-year-old Torri Roy Patterson set up marriages between Mainers and illegal immigrants wanting to stay in the US.Court documents say she married a man from Kenya in 2003 then recruited others to participate in the scheme.
A nearly 10% rate increase could be on the way for some Anthem policy holders.Anthem customers spoke out to the Bureau of Insurance at the public comment session in Orono Tuesday night.This proposed increase would affect mainly small business owners and individuals who hold policies.The next public comment session will be in Gardiner on Monday April 11th at 4 pm at the Department of Professional and Financial Regulation.If the rate increase is approved by the Bureau of Insurance, it would take affect in July.