A major employer in the town of Hartland is filing for bankruptcy.According to Paul Larochelle, the president of Prime Tanning, only a handful of people will lose their jobs.Larochelle says they gave employees the news around one this afternoon.He says the bankruptcy should be finalized within the next couple of days.Larochelle says the tannery has no plans for reducing its output.
An election re-count has upheld Democrat Anne Graham of North Yarmouth as the winner in House District 109.The results leave Republicans with 78 seats in the Maine House, Democrats with 72.There is also one independent.There are still four candidate recounts and one statewide ballot question recount to be completed.
An auction of keepsakes made from the remains of New England’s champion elm tree, nicknamed Herbie, was held.The town of Yarmouth divided Herbie’s 15-ton trunk among artisans who gave him new life in dozens of items that were put to bid Saturday.It was announced on Monday that about $28,000 was raised.
How would you like to have turkey for dinner and dessert this thanksgiving?The Blue Hill Co-op is selling raffle tickets to benefit the Emmaus Homeless Shelter.The winner gets this hand-crafted chocolate turkey, courtesy of Black Dinah Chocolatiers of Isle au Haut.The drawing takes place on Tuesday, November 23rd at noon.You don’t need to be present, to win.Tickets are $1.00, or six for $5.00.To buy them, you can stop by the Blue Hill Co-op or call them at 374-2165.
The syphillis rate has shot up in Maine.There have been nineteen infections since mid-July, bringing the yearly total to thirty-three.State health officials say that’s about twice as many cases as the average in recent years.All nineteen of the cases since mid-July involved men having sex with men.
A fire that destroyed an auto shop in Kenduskeag was an accident according to the State Fire Marshal’s office.It happened Friday at Rick’s Auto Sales and Service on Townhouse Rd.Lieutenant Steve Burgess of the Levant Fire Department says the fire started in a car being worked on inside the shop.The worker attempted to put it out, but couldn’t.It’s the second time that business has burned down in less than three years.