Senator Susan Collins paid a visit to Bangor Hydro Friday afternoon.
She was briefed at their operations center on Union Street in Bangor.
Collins says the efforts under way show whenever there is a natural disaster, or any kind if crisis, the people of Maine pull together.
After being without power since Monday due to the ice storm, Neal Farrington left his home on Fire Road 14, just off the Neck Road in China, Friday morning to go buy a generator. When he returned he found his house on fire.
Fire crews on the scene of a blaze in the town of China. It is on Fire Road 14, off the Neck Road. Three dogs were lost to the blaze, but a dramatic rescue by a brother-in-law saves one man’s life. The man has been taken by LifeFlight for smoke inhalation, but his brother-in-law tells us that he was coherent at the time the chopper left. Rob Poindexter will bring us more at TV5 at noon and then the full story, including an interview with the heroic relative, tonight on TV5 at 5 & 6.
State Police are investigating a death that happened on Christmas Day.
Ellsworth Police Lieutenant Harold Page tells us that just after 3 pm officers responded to a residence on Central Street.
BELFAST, Maine (AP) — Troy’s former town clerk has been sentenced to three months in jail for stealing more than $18,000 from the community.
Kathleen Mattingly was ordered Thursday in Waldo County Superior Court to serve 90 days of a three-year sentence.
When it comes to being a lineman, it isn’t any easy job, but thankfully, there is someone to do it.
“My family understands, this is what I do, for a living, as most guys, so, I’ll see them when I get home. They want Daddy back home. I said just give him a dew more days and I’ll be there,” said Trinidad Alamo, a foreman from Connecticut.
Frustrations over lost power boiled over in Surry Thursday when a customer threatened workers and Bangor Hydro officials pulled crews from the area.
Bangor Hydro spokesperson Susan Faloon says the crews who were working on a power line were moved after one customer called in saying he may kill someone.
The snow is hampering efforts to get the power back on after a weekend ice storm turned out the lights for more than 100,000 homes and businesses in Maine at one point.
Governor LePage announced Wednesday that anyone wishing to support the ice storm relief efforts can do so.
A Maine Disaster Relief Fund has been set up through United Way of Kennebec Valley, who will distribute the funds collected to various nonprofits who are involved in the relief effort.
A Waterville man lost his barn and part of his home on Christmas Day.
Crews were called to Drummond Avenue around 12:30 in the afternoon.
Officials say the man ran part his business, Grenier’s Classic Flooring, out of the barn which was flattened by flames.
Christmas Day is day four without power for some Mainers. The Red Cross set up emergency shelters throughout the state, including one in Brewer.
“I would have froze to death if it wasn’t for them,” says Phil Baker.
TV5 has confirmed that local troop greeter, Bill Knight, has passed away.
Knight, who was featured in the documentary “The Way We Get By” died Wednesday at the Maine Veteran’s Home in Bangor.
Fire fighters spent part of their Christmas Eve battling a garage fire in Lincolnville.
Crews were called to Youngtown Road around 8:15 in the evening.
Neighbors as well as the homeowner called in the fire.
The ice storm is over, but power issues continue to pester the state.
At last check Bangor Hydro is reporting about 21,000 customers without power.
But Central Maine power still has more than 63,000 customers in the dark.
It’s Christmas Eve, and the Bangor Mall Build-A-Bear Store is packed… But not with typical last-minute shoppers.
The Deer Isle-Stonington High School Cheer Squad is making stuffed animals to deliver to sick kids at Eastern Maine Medical Center.
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — State police in Maine say a 50-year-old man died when he tried to refill a generator that was running after power went out during this week’s ice storm.
SHELTER UPDATE: If you are in need of a place to shelter from the cold and a place where there is active electricity, please take a look below, as there may be a place in your town that you can utilize while crews work to restore power. We here at TV5 will stay in contact with officials to bring you the most current information. You can also call 2-1-1 to see what warming centers and shelters are available, or you can also check with their local fire department. Remember to please not call 9-1-1 for information about power outages, contact your electricity provider for updates.
Downed tree branches hampered fire fighters’ efforts in Northport Tuesday morning.
Crews were called to Shore Road just before 3 a.m.
The couple living in the cottage told authorities the fire started around the wood stove.
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — Widespread power outages caused by a two-day ice storm have prompted Gov. Paul LePage to shut down all state offices in Kennebec County, including Augusta.
LePage announced Tuesday that because of the power outages and hazardous driving conditions, state offices in Kennebec County and the town of Ellsworth will be closed.
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — An Augusta woman charged with stabbing her boyfriend in the back and shoulder after he came home late and drunk has been held on $20,000 bail.
Ariana Lee Doherty appeared Monday in Kennebec County Superior Court on a charge of elevated aggravated assault. She remains in jail. The 27-year-old Doherty also agreed to stay away from her boyfriend, refrain from drug and alcohol use and adhere to a curfew.