* Marco Polo did not discover pasta in Asia and bring it to Italy.
* Early Romans used a very simple flour and water dough. Pasta is the Italian word for dough.
* Referenced as early as 1279
* type of noodle of traditional Italian cuisine, with the first reference dating to 1154 in Sicily and first attested in English in 1874.
* Thomas Jefferson was the American Ambassador to France and in 1789, he brought the first pasta machine, along with crates of macaroni, back to the United States
* There are 310 specific forms known variably by more than 1300 names having been recently documented.
* Cavatelli is known by 28 different names depending on the region and town.
* a typical Italian person eats more than sixty pounds of pasta per year. In comparison, Americans only eat around twenty pounds of pasta per person per year.