An insurance agency in Brewer is stressing the importance of fire safety.
Darling’s Agency will be giving out free smoke detectors and batteries while supplies last Tuesday, July 14th.
Plus, folks can check out local fire and rescue vehicles.
They’re doing this after a tragedy in Hermon this week.
Fire investigators say a home that caught fire Tuesday had at least one smoke detector, but it didn’t have batteries.
A 9-year-old boy died after being pulled from the blaze.
His cousin was injured, but has since been discharged from the hospital.
“With the fire in Hermon, it really brought it home how important it is to have working smoke detectors in a home and scary statistics show that three out of five deaths in home fires are the result of not having working smoke detectors in a home,” said Darling’s Agency Insurance Agent Kristen Keith.
Darling’s Ice Cream for a Cause will be on hand with free ice cream.
All donations will be given to the Parker family.
Again, the fire safety and touch-a-truck event is Tuesday, July 14th.
It’s from 5:30 to 7:30pm.
Darling’s Agency is located on Parkway South in Brewer.