Electrical Fire Damages 5-Unit Apartment Building In Augusta 

A fire closed a section of State Street in Augusta this afternoon.

The call came in just after 3:00 Tuesday afternoon. Augusta Fire Chief Roger Audette said it was an electrical that fire broke out in the fully occupied five-unit apartment building at 32 State Street.

By the time firefighters arrived on scene the fire had spread to the attic. No one was hurt, but some of the buildings residents won’t be able to return to their units tonight.

“The house is about 100 years old. It’s a five unit apartment building. There was a lot of ceilings we had to break through just to get to the fire so. It took us about 45 minutes to do that and of course it’s 85 degrees and humid so we need to make sure there’s a lot of firefighters here for that.”

The Red Cross has been called in to help those displaced by the fire.