Cleanup, Power Restoration Continue in Arthur Aftermath 

It’s been a rough few days for Washington County in the wake of Tropical Storm Arthur.

Three days after the storm hit, some people are still in the dark.

At last check, Emera is reporting just over 500 customers without power, with the highest number in Lubec.

Days after Arthur hit, Downeast Maine is still recovering.

“This is very uncommon. I’ve never seen this type of damage in the middle of the summer from a hurricane. We’ve had some summer storms that hit small areas, but they never hit the whole county like this,” said Washington County Director of Emergency Management Michael Hinerman.

In Lubec and Trescott, many remain without power.

“We’ve got a generator. Most of the neighbors have generators I believe, just keeping them full of gas and running them during the day,” said Dave Menune of Trescott.

Emera crews have been criss-crossing Washington County all day, but it’s a slow process, especially in rural areas.

“I mean they can’t get to everything at once. That’s the way it is. You make the best of it,” said Manune.

Pat Ramsdell of Lubec, who’s in her 90s, was without power for two days and is waiting for crews to remove this tree from the line feeding her home.

“I was sitting on the sun porch and they just kept falling down and the power went off,” said Ramsdell.”

Across town, the daunting clean-up caught up with Bram Williams.

“I made a cut over there and that’s why I’m wearing this,” said Williams, pointing to the bandage wrapped around his head. “It ripped my ear. Had about 21 stitches in my ear.”

At a church in Lubec, a tree came crashing through a stained glass window.

People who’ve lived here for decades say they’ve never seen anything like it, at least not this time of year.

In Eastport, sidewalks are in pieces thanks to toppled trees.

“A lot of major trees here like this one beside me that uprooted big sections of sidewalk, you know, trees that are in excess of a hundred years old,” said Eastport Police Chief Rodney Merritt.

And just up the street, crew from a Navy ship that was in Eastport had to be called in to help fight a fire caused by a power surge.

“I asked if they could spare some people to come help us fight a fire, so the other firefighters could stay in their towns, and they sent probably 15 or 20 guys,” said Eastport Fire Chief Richard Clark.

A county coming together to combat the effects of an unusual storm, the aftermath of which seems to be finally drawing to a close.

“As far as I know most of the roads are open except a few camp roads possibly. Also the wires are back up, most people have power and from here it’s clean-up,” said Hinerman.