Fire Destroys Carmel Home

Terry Stackhouse

Updated 4 months ago

Flames tore through a family’s home in Carmel, Friday afternoon.

Crews were called to the scene along Haskell Road, around 3:30 pm.

Nobody was home at the time.

Neighbors were able to rescue dogs inside.

Responders are confident the fire started in an unattached garage but they’re not sure what sparked it.

Firefighters say flames quickly spread to the home, because of wind.

Carmel Fire Chief Michael Azevedo said, “When I got here, the garage was almost flat and that side of the house was going. The living room was fully involved and was going down the hallway.”

Ethan Dewitt, a Kenduskeag volunteer firefighter, was second on scene. He said, “The garage was totally gone and flames were shooting through the roof and the wind, it just took the house under.”

The home was being rented to the family that lived there.

The owners have been notified.

Crews from Levant, Stetson, Kenduskeag, Hermon, and Newport were also called to the scene.

The Fire Marshal’s office will investigate.


MENU