Three People Escape House Fire in Hampden

Catherine Pegram

Updated 8 months ago

Firefighters say it appears a wood stove sparked a house fire in Hampden Monday.

Part of Main Road South was closed about 2 p.m. while crews from five departments responded to the call.

We’re told a two women and a teenage girl made it out safely before fire crews arrived.

Firefighters say most of the fire damage was contained to the first floor, but there’s smoke damage throughout the house.

Neighbors reported hearing an explosion, but crews say that may have been from aerosol cans in the kitchen.

Lt. Frank Coombs with the Hampden Fire Department says, “Apparently from what we’re hearing from the homeowner, she had started up her wood stove. We’re not sure if an ember had dropped and at one point then, she realized she had flames in the house and smoke and quickly grabbed the kids and out they came.”

A guinea pig also made it out of the fire but a pet bird did not survive.

At last report the family was still searching for a cat, too.

We’re told because of the damage, no one can live in the house right now.

The Red Cross is helping out the residents.


MENU