Fire Destroys Mobile Home in Exeter

Joy Hollowell

Updated 8 months ago

Fire consumed a mobile home in Exeter Monday morning.

Crews from five towns were called to Tibbetts Road around 9 a.m.

When they arrived, they say flames were coming out of every window and door in the house.

Arlene Rider lived in the home with her husband, daughter, daughter’s boyfriend and two grandchildren.

Rider was home with her daughter at the time.

“I ran for a jug of water and by the time I opened that door, there was nothing I could do with that jug of water,” says Rider. “And the guy up the road here saw it and stopped and tried to get us out because we were blocked in there because I had the front door plasticed up. But I kicked the door out and he grabbed the plastic and ripped it off and helped my daughter and I and our two dogs out of the home.”

Rider says they were unable to save some other pets inside the home. “I have no insurance, I have nothing.”

Rider says she was using the wood stove at the time and thought some sparks from the chimney may have fallen onto the porch.

Corinna Assistant Fire Chief Shawn Richards says the mobile home had been added onto several times. That coupled with a tin roof made it difficult to extinguish the blaze. An excavator was called in to fully snuff out the flames.

Richards expects to call in the Fire Marshal’s Office to try and determine a cause but says the damage may be too great.

The family tells us they had no insurance. The Red Cross has been called in to help them.


  • wifey

    clothes closet in Ellsworth has free clothing open friday 430 – 7 pm and Saturday 9- 1 they have a facebook page

MENU