Ice Storm Death: Carbon Monoxide Kills Knox Man

Updated 10 months ago

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — State police in Maine say a 50-year-old man died when he tried to refill a generator that was running after power went out during this week’s ice storm.

Spokesman Steve McCausland says family members found the body of Timothy Woods of Knox early Tuesday in a detached garage about 15 minutes after he went out to gas up the generator. Police believe he was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.

By midday Tuesday, more than 106,000 people still were without power following the two-day storm that snapped branches and power lines. Utilities say it could be Friday before power is fully restored.

The Red Cross opened a third shelter Tuesday morning in Brewer. Shelters opened in Belfast and Calais Monday night. There are also 12 warming centers open around the state.

CARBON MONOXIDE-SOT_1223T162345 thumbnail
MENU