Fire in Newport Takes Hold of Apartment

Updated 11 months ago


Firefighters in Newport say an electric heater may have a sparked an apartment fire, early Saturday morning.

Mutual aid was called in from Pittsfield and Corinna, just before 7.

Nobody was injured but the 4 tenants living there have been displaced.

Responders say the flames were tough to get to.

Lt. Adam Noyes of Newport tells us the fire started on the second floor of the building and flames got stuck between the first and second floor.

The people living there are just glad they got out safety.

“We were very lucky. A lot of it is just smoke damage. Other than that everything else can be replaced like our shampoo, soap, food, all that stuff can be replaced,” said Kristen Brockway.

The American Red Cross is helping the families affected.

Firefighters were on scene for about 3 hours.

The state fire marshal’s office is investigating.


MENU