Hannaford dietician Mary Lavanway talks about holiday appetizers.
Creamy Cranberry Dip
Prep time: 15 minutes + chilling
Yields: 4 cups
1 package (8 oz.) Neufchatel cheese, softened
1 cup (8 oz.) Dannon® Oikos® Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
1 can (14 oz.) whole-berry cranberry sauce (or make your own, using the recipe below)
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Kashi® crackers or pita crisps
1. In a small bowl, beat the cheese, yogurt, honey, and cinnamon until smooth.
2. Spread into a shallow bowl or 9-inch pie plate.
3. Top with cranberry sauce.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds.
5. Serve with Kashi pita crackers or pita crisps.
You can prepare the dip up to two days ahead and store, covered, in the refrigerator.
Sprinkle with almonds and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Source: Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce
12 ounces cranberries
1 cup white sugar
1 cup 100% orange juice
1. In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in the orange juice.
2. Stir in the cranberries and cook until cranberries start to pop (about 10 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and place sauce in a bowl. Cranberry sauce will thicken as it cools.
Source: Recipe from allrecipes.com
Hot Broccoli-Cheddar Dip
Makes about 2 1/3 cups
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped broccoli
1 8 oz Cabot Sharp Light or Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated
4 oz light cream cheese
2 tablespoons 1% milk
1/2-1 tsp Tabasco or other hot sauce
½ tsp freshly grated McCormick black pepper
Kashi crackers and fresh vegetables
1.) Place frozen broccoli in microwave-safe bowl;cover loosely with plastic wrap and microwave until hot and tender, about 9 minutes (do not add water).
2.) Uncover and add cheddar, cream cheese, hot sauce and pepper to bowl. Cover again and microwave just until cheeses are melted, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Stir until smooth. (If mixture seems thin, it will thicken upon cooling slightly.)
3.) Serve with Kashi crackers and fresh vegetables.
Source: Modified from Cabot Cheese