Fire Flattens Levant Home 

Fire flattened a home and attached barn in Levant Monday.

The family says they’ve lost everything.

It happened along Sawyer Road.

A forestry unit first reported the flames around 2 pm.

Nobody was home at the time but one dog had to be rescued.

Firefighters fear the family’s other pets may have been lost in the fire.

“I pulled the line, pushed the fire back, long enough to break into the dog’s cage and rescue the dog from his dog house and get him some medical treatment,” said Lt. Christopher Shoppee of the Levant Fire Department.

Jo Anne Sample, sister-in-law of the homeowner, said, “They are going to need clothes, food, you know they will need to start over. I mean, they’ve got to start literally, completely over. He has nothing now. Thank god he wasn’t home. Thank god there was nobody in the house other than the fact that we can’t find one of the animals and I’m sure one of the birds is gone.”

There’s no word yet on a cause.

The fire marshal’s office has been called in to investigate.

The Red Cross is taking care of the family.