Belfast Hannaford Reopens after Small Chemical Spill

Updated 10 months ago

A Hannaford store in Belfast closed its doors Thursday night and part of Friday after a small chemical spill.

Belfast Police said there was a Phenol spill in the store’s pharmacy on Thursday afternoon.

Phenol is a compounding agent and it can cause severe burns.

The police department said the clean up was not an emergency, but more precautionary.

Three employees were taken to Waldo County Hospital for throat irritation and released.

The state Department of Environmental Protection was on site Friday morning to help dispose the chemical properly.

The store has reopened.


MENU