TURNER, Maine (AP) — A large fire has destroyed a barn at a Turner dairy farm, but no cows were killed thanks to the efforts of neighbors and passers-by.
Ralph Caldwell of Caldwell Family Farms says the fire reported at about 2 p.m. Sunday started in the milk room and was probably electrical in nature. He tells the Sun Journal, he estimates damage at $500,000.
Neighbors as well as a couple who just happened to be driving by helped lead about 130 head of cattle from the burning barn and a second nearby barn.
Fighting the blaze was difficult because there are no hydrants in the area.
Firefighters from Turner, Buckfield, Livermore Falls, Greene, Leeds, Minot, Livermore, West Paris and Auburn helped, using tanker trucks and water pumped from a nearby pond.