Gov. Paul LePage says possible cuts to the national food stamps program prove the state can’t rely on the federal government to pay for a Medicaid expansion.
The Republican governor released a statement Tuesday following last week’s vote in the U.S. House to cut $4 billion a year from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as food stamps.
LePage says the debt-ridden federal government is pushing more costs onto Maine taxpayers. He says there’s no evidence it “will keep its promise of ‘free’ welfare expansion.”
Democrats counter that the federal government hasn’t missed a Medicaid or Medicare payment to the state in decades. House Speaker Mark Eves of North Berwick says LePage has made one excuse after another to deny health care to tens of thousands of Mainers.