Bath Iron Works Awarded Billion Dollar Contract

Updated 1 year ago

Officials say Maine’s Bath Iron Works has been awarded a $2.8 billion contract to build four Arleigh Burke Class destroyers over the next five years with the option to build a fifth ship. In statements, U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree and Sens. Susan Collins and Angus King announced they had been told of the contracts Monday by Navy Secretary Ray Mabus. Collins said the decision to build four ships will help add stability to the workload at the shipyard. However, she calls it “disappointing” they will have to continue to push for the funding for the fifth ship. The Arleigh Burke destroyer program dates to the 1980s. The warships have proven to be so versatile that the Navy has been modifying them for other uses.


MENU