Spring and summer activities can put you in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. To protect yourself, make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors at your home and camp. If you’re off-roading and get stuck in mud or water, check to see if the exhaust is blocked. If it is, it could be deadly. Firefighters want everyone to stay safe and say paying attention can help prevent tragedies. ” Make sure that your fuel-burning appliances are working properly, follow manufacturers recommendations . Have working carbon monoxide as well as working smoke detectors in your home or camp,” said Darrell Cyr, assistant chief for the Bangor Fire Department. Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are flu-like. If you think you might have carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911.