Man Rescues Resident In Augusta Apartment Fire

Caitlin Burchill

Updated 2 years ago

One person was seriously injured after a fire in Augusta on Sunday morning.A neighbor’s quick thinking helped him escape the blaze.Around 9:30 on Sunday morning Augusta Fire Department received a call of a structure fire at a three story, eight unit apartment building on Pleasant Street. “Upon arrival we had heavy smoke conditions and fire on the first floor. The building was fully occupied at that point our focus was rescuing the victims,” said Battalion Chief John Bennett. Before the fire department arrived on scene, a neighbor witnessed the rescue of one of the tenants. “We heard the neighbors hollering and looked out the window and saw smoke. The guy from the funeral parlor next door here, he ran over broke the screen out and then finally took a chair and reached it in so Jack could grab it,” said Rhonda Jasper. “One victim that was burned upon arrival, we had rescue crews treat him immediately,” said Bennett. The man was transported to Maine Medical Center in Portland with serious burn and smoke inhalation injuries. While a few pets were lost in the blaze, firefighters were able to save some. “Couldn’t be prouder of my guys. They did a fantastic job containing this is a big building. It’s over 5,000 feet. It’s a three story apartment. There’s really two buildings here and they were able to contain it to the room of origin,” said Bennett. Fourteen people were displaced by the fire. The Red Cross is helping them find temporary housing.”It looks like its started in a first floor apartment where the subject was injured. There’s smoke and water damage throughout the building. It looks like a majority of the fire damage is on the first floor. Right now investigators from the State Fire Marshall’s are trying to determine the origin and the cause of the fire,” said Sgt. Joel Davis with the State Fire Marshall’s Office.


MENU