Sanford Man Burns 90% of Body in Accident

Terry Stackhouse

Updated 1 year ago

The State Fire Marshal’s Office says a Sanford man was seriously burned late Tuesday while working on his outdoor wooden furnace. Fire investigators believe flammable liquid exploded when Thomas Basinger, 39, tried start a fire in the furnace, located in his back yard. He was taken by ambulance to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston with burns to over 90% of his body. Basinger’s wife Karie used a garden hose to extinguish the fire after hearing her husband’s cries for help. Investigators are attempting to determine the type of flammable liquid Basinger was using.


MENU