Family Loses Their Home in Sullivan Fire

Updated 2 years ago

A family lost their home on Route 1 after a fire broke out in Sullivan.Sullivan Fire Chief Chris Eklund believes the blaze began when a man was defrosting pipes by the front door with an electric heater. The fire then spread to the attic on Thursday morning. Two adults, a baby, and two cats escaped safely, but Eklund says the house is a total lost.Lamoine, Eastbrook, Gouldsboro, Sorrento, and Hancock County Fire departments responded. Maine State Police, Hancock County Sheriff’s office, Marine Patrol, and The Department of Transportation were also on the scene. The frigid temperatures made it difficult for firefighters to put out the blaze. Chief Eklund said “One fire supply, which just froze up on us, lost a couple of gauges on the truck. We had to shut that one down, now we got to go to our secondary water supply. Plus, we’re pull off the water hydrant right here at the high school.”Sumner Memorial High School, which is right next store to the home, opened up the gym for firefighters and rescue crews to warm up.Neighbor, Sadie Rodgers said “it is absolutely devastating to watch them go through what they are going through right now. I mean, it could be me. I love across the street. It’s absolutely devastating. I have three kids myself and it hits really close to home. Rodgers said she will be planning a benefit dinner for the 25-year-old man, 23-year-old woman, and their baby in the upcoming weeks. The Red Cross is also assisting the family.


MENU