Cooking Grease Sparks House Fire In Pittsfield
Firefighters in Pittsfield got quite a scare Wednesday afternoon. They got the call around 1:00.A woman living in one of the two apartments in a house on Mill Court, across the street from Cianbro, was making french fries and started a grease fire.That fire quickly spread and by the time fire crews arrived, the entire house was burning.Pittsfield’s Fire Chief, Bernard Williams, says when they first arrived on scene they were told two young girls who lived in the other apartment were unaccounted for. “There were people from Cianbro that tried to get in the building but couldn’t because of the smoke and heat,” Williams said. “As soon as we had people on scene we did a search of this side. After what seemed like an eternity, probably 15 minutes, the owner and his two daughters showed up.”Nobody was hurt but two pet birds died in the fire. There’s a lot of fire and smoke damage.The Red Cross is helping the families find places to stay.