Fireworks Injuries During the 4th
Wednesday was the first 4th of July in more than sixty years with fireworks being legal in Maine. We’re told there were at least three major mishaps.A Standish man modified some fireworks, which went off in his face because of a short fuse. In Hiram, a man was injured when a mortar-style rocket he thought was a dud went off in his hand. In Sharleston, a woman’s pants leg caught fire when a rocket went sideways instead of up in the air.Earlier in the week, a Sabattas man was injured when he used a torch to dry out a wet mortar-style rocket.And kids playing with sparklers set an apartment house on fire in Portland.