Sparklers Blamed for Apartment Fire

Updated 2 years ago

Firefighters in Maine’s largest city arebattling an apartment house fire that a neighbor says was startedby children playing with sparklers. City officials say everyone made it out of the building tosafety late Monday morning, but thick plumes of smoke could be seenfrom downtown as firefighters battled the blaze. The Portland Press Herald quotes aneighbor, Melissa Trott, as saying kids caused the fire by tryingto light fireworks using a toaster oven. A city spokeswoman declined to discuss the cause of the fire.Congress Street was closed as firefighters doused the blaze in thebuilding across the street from the Eastern Cemetery


MENU