Cause of Westbrook Apartment Building Fire Released

Updated 2 years ago

Maine authorities say a fire in a Westbrook apartment building was started by a child playing with matches or a lighter.One person was taken to the hospital for suspected smoke inhalation.Public Safety Chief Michael Pardue tells the Portland Press Herald, that the fire started in a first floor apartment on Tuesday night.Officials say crews responded quickly to the building on Main Street because the fire station is a block away.An officer helped a resident escape from a second floor apartment. All other tenants got out safely.Firefighters tried to keep the fire from spreading to other buildings on the block.Pardue says the fire, which heaving damaged the building, melted siding of a neighboring building but caused no structural damage.


MENU