Jury Finds Landlord Not Responsible for Child Tenant’s Lead Poisoning

Updated 3 years ago

A jury has ruled that a Lewiston landlord was not responsible for a child tenant’s lead poisoning.The jury determined after three and a half hours of deliberation that Double Eagle Properties LLC shouldn’t be held liable for the elevated blood-lead levels of the now 7-year-old boy, who according to his parents’ lawyer, has behavioral problems, a lowered IQ and learning disabilities.A lawyer for the boy’s parents argued that the building’s owners should have replaced windows in the apartment that created dust that contained lead paint. They were asking for $11 million.The Sun Journal, reports that the lawyer called the verdict “really unfortunate.”A lawyer for the defendants say the owners complied with all local, state and federal legal requirements regarding lead paint.


MENU