Family Of Four Loses Everything In Oakland Fire

Rob Poindexter

Updated 3 years ago

A family of four has lost everything in an early morning fire on Oak Street in Oakland. Oakland Fire Chief Dave Coughlin said the call came in just before 1:00 o’clock Tuesday morning.Coughlin says the family was awakened by smoke detectors and managed to get out the house just in time. By the time fire crews arrived on scene the mobile home was fully engulfed in flames and there was nothing they could do to save the home. “Fire travels so fast through those mobile homes,” Coughlin said. “Pretty much when the first units got there we had heavy fire throughout the home. The owners had tried to go back in and retrieve some things and get their dogs out.”The owner of the home, Ryan Schuuman, was taken to the hospital where he was treated for burns and smoke inhalation.Coughlin says it appears the fire started near the wood stove. Schuman says he doesn’t believe the wood stove was the cause. He suspects the refrigerator could have been to blame. The Fire Marshal’s office is investigating. For now the Shuman family is staying with relatives. they had no insurance on the home. The Red Cross and the local Lions Club are also helping them.


MENU