Employer in Sewer Tank Deaths Pays Penalties

Updated 3 years ago

The owner of a Monmouth company has agreed to pay nearly $17,000 in federal penalties for safety violations stemming from the deaths of two workers who died after inhaling sewer gases at a job site in Kennebunkport. Tim Stevens of Stevens Electric and Pump Service agreed to pay the penalties assessed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration after the citations were amended to indicate that the company had provided proper safety equipment, but had not taken steps to assure workers used it. Stevens had said he was thinking of contesting the penalties because his workers had chosen not to use safety equipment. Fifty-eight-year-old Winfield Studley of Windsor and 70-year-old Richard Kemp of Monmouth died from inhaling hydrogen sulfide while working inside a sewer tank at a motel in September. (AP)


MENU