Elderly Woman Dies in Fire 

A woman in Waterboro died in a house fire last night. Her granddaughter made it out of the home alive.It happened around 9:30 Wednesday night. Investigators say 86-year-old Cecile Morey was trapped in her bedroom.Neighbors tried to rescue her but couldn’t get a screen off her bedroom window in time.17-year-old Kaitlin Merrill escaped through a basement window. She was treated for smoke inhalation.Merrill ran to a neighbor’s house for help.Investigators say wood stored too close to a wood stove in the basement likely sparked the fire.