Bar Harbor Rooming House Owner Faces Safety Violations After Fire 

Catherine Pegram

The owner of a rooming house in Bar Harbor that caught fire last fall is accused of violating public fire safety rules.The state Fire Marshal’s Office says Tom Testa didn’t provide adequate safety precautions for his building or his tenants.He’s charged with four violations, ranging from no fire alarm system to no secondary means of escape from the first and third floors.The rooming house on Roberts Square is for employees of Testa’s Restaurant.Local police used a nearby ladder to rescue one man trapped on the third floor of the building after it caught fire last October. A second man was also rescued from the second floor porch.Investigators say the fire was an accident, started by an electrical problem.A trial date for the case hasn’t been set yet, but a hearing is scheduled for April.