WATCH LIVE

Bangor Resident Protests Plans for New Arena 

A concerned Maine resident is trying to rally support against plans to build a new arena in Bangor because he fears it will hurt taxpayers.Earlier this summer, councilors voted to hire an architectural firm and the Cianbro Corporation to come up with a design for a 74-hundred seat arena in Bass Park.Mike Dyer, director of Bass Park, says the council’s intent is to bond construction funds and pay for the project with money it receives from Hollywood Slots.But Bob Cimbollek, a former Bangor High School basketball coach, says he believes the taxpayers will have to pay for the rest.”We’ll be in the red in our taxes so that’s just kind of a statement if the city is going in the red, the taxpayer will have to bail them out,” he said.Cimbollek plans on gathering signitures for a petition.On Thursday, city councilors will meet about the project. Final drawings are expected to be presented and the councilors could find out how much the project will cost.The meeting will take place at 5 at the city council chambers at City Hall on Harlow Street.