WATCH LIVE

Students Sick from Carbon Monoxide and Natural Gas Leak 

100 students are enrolled at Empire Beauty School in Bangor, a witness tells TV5 they were evacuated Tuesday morning after smelling propane in the building.The witness says they were returned to class about 20 minutes later, and then 10 minutes later students began getting sick and passing out.The Bangor Fire Department was called in.” We also called the DEP and Orono HazMat because some people were getting sick,” said Darrell Cyr, Assistant Chief for the Bangor Fire Department.Seven students were transported to the hospital, and a few others drove themselves.Cyr says the cause was one of the rooftop heating units not working correctly.”Therefor spitting out Carbon Monoxide and a smell of natural gas,”said Cyr.Cyr says since Carbon Monoxide has no smell, the natural gas leak is what alerted students to the original problem.There was no Carbon Monoxide detector found in the school. Cyr says all homes and businesses should have one, especially during the heating season.”Dryers, stoves, furnaces just make sure they’re working properly. Buy some Carbon Monoxide detectors to protect your family and smoke detectors.” We’re told the sick students were all alert when taken to the hospital.The school was closed Tuesday but is scheduled to be operational Wednesday.