Deer Isle Community Helps Family Burned Out of Home 

Catherine Pegram

Folks are coming together in Deer Isle to help a family of six who lost their home to a fire.The 9-1-1 call came in around 4 Monday afternoon from Church Lane, just off route 15.Some kids in the house said a power surge had sparked a fire inside a bedroom.A Hancock County dispatcher told the kids to immediately leave the home, which they did.Fire fighters spent more than eight hours battling the fire, but they couldn’t save the house. The Red Cross is now helping the family with food, clothes and a place to stay.The Deer Isle Elementary School is also taking donations of goods for the family. Contact Roberta Johnson or Mike Benjamin at the school at 348-6301.Around the same time as that fire, another call came in just down the road on Route 15 in Blue Hill.It appears a malfunctioning furnace sparked that fire.We’re told the homeowner was able to get out safely and the fire was quickly put out.