Third time in Five Days a Working Smoke Detector Saves Lives

Wayne Harvey

Updated 5 years ago

It was a middle of the night wakeup call that no one wants to hear, but it likely saved lives overnight Monday in Lincoln.The smoke alarm went off at the home of Sam Clay.He was sleeping when the detector went off and was able to escape the Mallet Road residence unharmed and call for help.Crews from Lincoln with mutual aid from Howland and Lee arrived at around one thirty and had the flames knocked down in about fifteen minutes time.But because of the time and the location of the fire if it wasn’t for the alarm going off this could have been a much different result.” Sam was awakened by the sound of the smoke detectors,” said Hervey Clay the Assistant Fire Chief in Lincoln. ” He immediately got up and noticed the fire inside the wall in Jonathan’s room and quickly got Jonathan out he and Jonathan left the trailer through the back door because the living room was also on fire and I can not stress the importance enough of having fire detectors in your house.”" I think I would have been able to get out in time but I’m not sure if I could have saved my son without it,” said the home owner Sam Clay.The home was extensively damaged.Clay did have insurance on the home, and they do have a place to stay, but they do expect to be in contact with the Red Cross.No word yet on a cause, the fire will be investigated by the state Fire Marshal’s office.


MENU