Winn Fire Leaves Family of Eight Homeless 

Catherine Pegram

Burning food is to blame for a fire in Winn that left a family of eight homeless. The fire on Military Road yesterday afternoon started in the kitchen when some chicken left on the stove caught on fire. Megan and Richard Plaisted live there with their six children, ages 3 to 19. Megan is also pregnant. It took crews from Mattawamkeag, Lincoln, Medway and Lee to put out the flames.The family’s closest relatives live in Upstate New York, so the Red Cross is now offering them help. Lee Academy put the family up for the night in a dorm and an insurance adjustor is making arrangements for them to stay in an apartment.Mattawamkeag Fire Chief Robert Powers says the fire was difficult to fight.”The house was build back in the 1800s. With such an old house there’s a lot of nooks and crannies. The fire is just hiding from us, we’re just trying to be careful.”Powers says one firefighter was treated for heat stress at the scene by Penobscot Valley Hospital.Folks who’d like to help the family with donations can contact Robert Fogg at 736-2033.