Orono Apartment Fire an Accident

Catherine Pegram

Updated 6 years ago

The fire that burned through an 18-unit apartment building in Orono was an accident. Investigators with the State Fire Marshal’s office say the fire Tuesday afternoon was started by an electrical problem in the building’s wiring.A state electrical inspector who combed through the damage today determined the fire started in an outlet in a wall of a first-floor apartment, then spread throughout the building. More than two dozen people were left without a place to live, many of them college students. Everyone made it out safely, though one person was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and two firefighters were slightly hurt.Firefighters were even able to rescue one of the tenant’s dogs, who spent more than two hours hidden in the rubble.


MENU