WATCH LIVE

Madison Fire 

A fire in Madison yesterday has left a family of eight homeless. The owner says the fire started in her kitchen, and the flames destroyed everything the family had.Darcy Mercier used to live in this trailer with her husband, their 6 kids, and 8 pets. That is, before she received a devastating call around noon on Tuesday.”When we got the call we really didn’t think it was us and then when we started pulling up on the street and my brother had called me ten minutes before and said it was us and we just couldn’t believe it, we were just so in shock.”The Spruce Street home had gone up in flames. Fire officials say the gas stove in the kitchen was the cause. The flames destroyed the trailer.”Ya know, we’re devastated about losing 2 of our kittens, and it was very hard for my children a lot of their toys got ruined a lot of their bedding got ruined, a lot of our stuff got ruined, and we don’t have personal insurance… my husband bought a brand new 62 inch tv and we barely had it three months and it’s gone.”Luckily 3 dogs and 3 cats made it out okay, and no one was home at the time.”We’re so happy that none of our children were here and it wasn’t at night time.”The Red Cross has put the family up in a hotel until friday, but Mercier is worried about their next move.”It’s horrible, it’s the middle of winter, we have six kids, we have routines, we have animals, lots of animals, it’s just for us to go out and rent, it’s very hard right now.”Right now support from friends and family is helping them to make it through this difficult ordeal. If you’d like to help the family you can mail or drop off donations at the Madison Town Office. The address is:26 Weston AvenueMadison, ME 04950Phone number (207)696-3971